The Choir of King’s College London
The Choir of King’s College London is one of the most acclaimed mixed-voice university choirs in England. Founded in its present form in 1945, it consists of up to thirty choral scholars reading a variety of subjects.
King’s College London, part of the University of London, was itself founded in 1829. Besides providing music for the services in the College’s magnificent chapel, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the mid-nineteenth century and recently restored, the choir has an international reputation as one of Britain’s leading collegiate mixed-voice choirs, especially for its performances of Renaissance polyphony.
The choir gives many concerts, both in England and abroad. It has recently given concerts in Russia, France, Hong Kong and Italy. It has recorded music by composers including Philippe Rogier, Sebastián de Vivanco and, for Delphian, Gregorio Allegri (DCD34103) and Alfred Desenclos, Francis Poulenc and Pierre Villette (DCD34136). A recording partnership with the Choir of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge has also yielded two releases to date – in 2008 the combined choirs recorded Rodion Shchedrin’s monumental The Sealed Angel (DCD34067), receiving the ‘Editor’s Choice’ distinction in Gramophone magazine, and in June 2013 the ‘superchoir’ issued a disc of German Romantic choral music (DCD34124), including Richard Strauss’s virtuosic and little-performed 20-part Deutsche Motette.